Thursday, May 29, 2014

Too Young to Remember

This year for our daughter's 3rd birthday we asked ourselves the big question: "Should we do Disney or is it too soon?"  It's so common for people to decide that such trips aren't worth it because children that young won't remember the experience. It was also what my parents had said when I was little, that we would go once we got a little older. Then life happened and with the 7 year age gap between me and my oldest sibling there was never a great time to go. By the time I was old enough, my sister was a teenager with a job, band, tennis, and a hectic schedule that went with it. I would turn 33 this year and still had never been to Disney.

My point is, does it really matter? Why is so much emphasis put on whether or not a child can remember when as adults we struggle to remember what we did last week. I'm so glad we didn't let that be a reason to wait. Things in life change so fast and anymore I try to seize the day and life in general whenever I can. We go overboard sometimes, sure. There's always our memory of being told she might not live to reach her first birthday. So we usually opt for going all out. Last year it was a circus party.

 
This year we just skipped an at-home party and headed to Disney. So what if she doesn't remember?!! She had a wonderful time, and I will never forget how happy she was. When she gets older, she might not be so excited about seeing Tigger or Cinderella or getting her autograph book signed. 


 
 
No regrets here. Yeah, Disney can be pricey. Parties are pricey too! But much like those sappy credit card commercials say---the smile on my girl's face was priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment